Studio Art Quilt Associates Entry Form - Update -
SAQA- NEW England
Title: No HOLDS Barred
Location: New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA
Date: January 20, 2011– April 09, 2011
Theme: A survey showcasing the breadth and depth of work being created by SAQA artists residing in the six New England states
Jurors: Three NE Quilt Museum Jurors, and Juanita Yeager, SAQA member final Juror to be posted on the Blog as soon as written acceptance has been received.
Eligibility and Guidelines:
• Artists must be current members of Studio Art Quilt Associates and reside in one of the six New England states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut
• Entry is by digital images only on CD to be mailed directly to the museum.
• Checks should be made out to NEQM
• Members may submit up to 3 entries.
• Quilts must be new work that has not been exhibited or published prior to January 20, 2011.
• Entries must be a Minimum of 6” wide and no longer than 90”.
• Artwork must meet the basic definition of a quilt, as defined by the New England Quilt Museum, and by SAQA. The NEQM definition follows: "The traditional quilt definition is that it has 3 layers (top, filling and backing) and has stitching that holds the layers together. That definition allows for tying or tacking, machine or hand quilting. It also would allow all of the quilts in "Masters" including the Dollar Bill which had 3 layers with sugar packets for filling. I think this definition allows quite a lot of latitude!" Laura Lane, NEQM's Acting Curator.
And by SAQA, (SAQA defines an art quilt as a contemporary artwork exploring and expressing aesthetic concerns common to the whole range of visual arts: painting, printmaking, photography, graphic design, assemblage and sculpture, which retains, through materials or technique, a clear relationship to the folk art quilt from which it descends).
• Artwork may be published in a catalog of the exhibition if sponsorship is found.
• Artists are responsible for shipping and insurance to the New England Quilt Museum (NEQM) in Lowell, MA as well as the cost of return shipping and insurance. Shipping must by either UPS or FedEx. Quilts may be dropped off at the museum. The museum closes at 4:00 pm, no one will be available for late delivery.
• NEQM has an insurance policy that covers the artworks to be displayed while they are on site.
November 1, 2010 DEADLINE...Last Date you may submit entries.
Entries must be RECEIVED at the NEQM.
November 2-10, 2010 Jury Process
November 20, 2010 Notification of acceptance.
All notifications will be forwarded via email - once acceptance has been received please send quilts to the NEQM during the week of November 29 - December 4, 2010
Juried Artwork must be RECEIVED at New England Quilt Museum by 4:00 pm close of day 12/4. Please note the Museum will be closed from mid December until January 20, 2010.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION – by mail, or in person
You will be asked to provide artist information, a description of each piece and digital images: here is a checklist of what you will need to provide and will be on the Application Form:
Artist’s First Name:
Artist’s Last Name:
• Submit one overall DIGITAL image and one detail DIGITAL image for each piece of artwork and a written description of each piece submitted.
HOW TO SUBMIT DIGITAL IMAGES.
• Save your digital images as a high quality JPEG file (No TIFF files).
Finished image should be 1800 pixels on the longest side.
• Label each digital image with first initial, last name, art work title, period the word full, period and jpg see two examples below.
JDoe.sunrise.full.jpg or JDoe.sunrise.detail.jpg
Information about each piece:
Artist Statement including Materials and Techniques (up to 75 words)
You will be asked to agree with these Terms and Conditions on the Entry Form:
If my work has been accepted for this Exhibition I agree to loan my artwork to The New England Quilt Museum. I understand that the costs of insuring and shipping my artwork are my responsibility: I further agree to permit the images of details image and/or all or part of my artist’s statement to be used in the exhibit catalog, articles, ads, promotions, books, websites, blogs, CD’s, current event news coverage, television productions, and/or multi-media productions for and about exhibit or for and about the shows at which the exhibit may be seen.
Fee: US$30 for entry of up to 3 pieces. Members must pay their fees using a personal check, or Money Order made out to the New England Quilt Museum. Please submit fee with entry form and CD.
Address for submitting entries:
No Holds Barred
18 Shattuck St.
Lowell, MA 01852
PLEASE NOTE...DO NOT PUT THE WORD QUILT ANY WHERE ON YOUR PACKAGE.
This will help prevent theft.